6 habits for healthy eyes
Did you know that many common ocular health problems can be prevented by adopting a few simple habits? Set your sights on good vision and healthy eyes by following these proven tips.
1. Remember to blink regularly, especially while looking at your phone or computer screen. Make sure your eyes close completely with each blink.
2. Add foods to your diet that are rich in vitamins A, C and E as well as lutein and zinc. Eggs, legumes and dark, leafy greens are all great picks.
3. Quit or avoid smoking altogether, as it increases your risk of uveitis, a form of eye inflammation that can lead to permanent vision loss.
4. Don’t look directly at sources of bright light, such as the sun and headlights from oncoming traffic, and lower the brightness of your screens.
5. Wear sunglasses that offer full protection against both UVA and UVB rays. You can pick up a well-made pair at your optometrist’s clinic.
6. Take 20-second screen breaks every 20 minutes by focusing your eyes on something that’s at least 20 feet away.
Finally, be sure to schedule an eye exam with your optometrist every one to two years.